Your employer is unlikely to fire you outright (it is against the law) but you could face subtler forms of discrimination in the workplace. For example, you might be passed over for a promotion because your management may think you are unlikely to return to your job after your leave. That is why you should familiarize yourself with company policies including medical, fringe benefits and maternity leave, and the laws of your country pertaining to working pregnant women.
Under what circumstances is it dangerous to work in this condition?
Most women experiencing low risk pregnancies are able to work throughout their entire pregnancies and since job positions of women are every bit important, women tend to work right to the end if their health permits. There are situations that do not permit that and pregnant women are compelled to make some changes or switch to other positions.
Reasons you might want change in the job scenario:
- You are exposed to hazards such as radiation, tobacco smoke, oil based paints, toxic chemicals etc
- Your job requires that you stand for more than 3 hours per day
- Your job is very physically demanding
- Your job involves a lot of bending, stooping, stair or ladder climbing or heavy lifting
- You work in an extremely hot, cold or noisy environment
- You work long hours or rotating shifts When you put in the request for a job modification, be specific on when you require the change to be effective, how the change will impact you as a pregnant woman and what exactly you are looking for. You may also want to submit documentation like your doctor's letter to support your request.
Any tips on staying comfortable on the job?
- The biggest challenge will be staying comfortable during you're the nine month duration as you find yourself battling with your discomforts day in and day out. Some tips to tide you over
- Put your foot up on a stool to relieve pressure on your lower back
- Take regular breaks from the PC to avoid being hard on your body. Pregnant women are at an increased risk of suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome - a painful condition that can affect the wrist and lower arms if a lot of time is spent at the keyboard
- Keep a glass of water on your desk at all times so that you will remember to drink frequently and NEVER skip meals no matter how hectic your day gets
- Take 5 to 10 minutes to catnap during your break or lunchtime by putting your head on your desk
- Keep stress to a minimum and accept any offers of help. People love helping a pregnant woman so don't be shy if help comes your way