Weekly Nutrition advice
- Protein supplies you with amino acids which are critical for the growth and repair of the embryo/fetus, placenta, uterus and breasts.
- Pregnancy increases your protein needs.
- Try to consume 6 oz of protein each day during the first trimester and 8 oz a day in the next two trimesters.
- Protein should however make only about 15% of your total calorie intake.
- Many protein sources are high in fat. If you need to watch your calories, look out for low fat protein sources. Some protein foods you may choose and their serving portions are outlined below:
Chickpeas (Kabuli channa) - 1 cup
Cheese, mozzarella - I oz
Chicken roasted, skinless - ½ breast (about 4 oz)
Eggs - 1
Milk - 8 oz
Peanut butter - 2 tablespoons
Tuna, canned in water - 3 oz
Yoghurt - 8 oz